Roman Iwasiwka Shows Classic Rock Photos
At The Falcon in Marlboro, New York
By: Charles Giuliano - Jan 17, 2017
Long time North Adams and Eclipse Mill resident, Roman Iwasiwka, recently relocated to New Paltz, New York.
For a number of years he has been the staff photographer for Williams College.
Back in the day he was a staff photographer of CBS. As a freelancer he covered many classic rock concerts capturing both performance and back stage images.
A selection of fourteen rock portraits will be on view at The Falcon – 1348 Rte 9W, Marlboro, NY through March 31. A reception for the artist will be held on January 28, from 5:30 to 7:30 PM.
Roman was part of a team of noted photographers at Camera 5, Inc., that included the late Ken Regan and L.A. based Neal Preston and has worked exclusively for the late rock impresario, Bill Graham. Additional subjects photographed: Andy Warhol, Michael Jackson, Neil Young, Tina Turner, The Bangles, Hall & Oates, Men At Work, Dave Mason, Jesse Colin Young, Modern English, Culture Club, Joe Cocker, Judy Collins, and Musical Youth.
Recent subjects include Marco Benevento, John Pizzarelli, The Kids, The Seratones, Avery Sharpe, Dala, and Chinese superstar Leehom Wang.
“Back when I started one had remarkable access to performers,” Iwasiwka commented. “That changed as managers insisted on increased control of the images of their clients. Today the norm for rock concerts is to confine photographers to the first three songs of the set. They also insist on signing forms that restrict the use of images.”
This shift to total control has undermined the creative freedom and spontaneity of professional photographers. On the other hand, during concerts, there is no way for security to control the use of smart phones and pocket cameras by audience members.
It is the norm for fans to post their images and videos to the internet. So, while professionals have been ever more restricted there has been a proliferation of images and videos of questionable quality.
This selection of images by Roman Iwasiwka vividly demonstrates the state of the art of rock photography created by a consummate professional.
The works on view include : U2 – 1982, Academy of Music – NYC and
- Bob Dylan – in recording studio – NYC
- Laurie Anderson – Beacon Theatre – NYC
- Jimmy Page – A.R.M.S. Concert – Madison Sq. Garden – NYC
- John Entwistle / The Who – Shea Stadium – NYC
- Jimmy Page – color / A.R.M.S. Concert – Madison Sq. Garden – NYC
- Robert Plant – Live Aid concert – Philadelphia, PA
- Jeff Beck – A.R.M.S. concert – Madison Sq. Garden – NYC
- Elvis Costello – Hudson River Concert – NYC
- Mick Jagger – Live Aid rehearsal – Philadelphia, PA
- Tom Petty – Live Aid concert – Philadelphia, PA
- Joni Mitchell – Conspiracy of Hope concert – Giants Stadium, NJ
- Cindi Lauper – Hudson River Concert – NYC
- Peter Gabriel – concert – Forest Hills Stadium – NYC
All images are copyright by Roman Iwasiwka.